This summer, parents and students in our Vancouver-Kingsway have been working hard to save Gladstone Secondary and Bruce and Carleton Elementary schools from closure.
Our public schools are excellent, viable, and dynamic places that are an integral part of the neighbourhood. Last year, Carleton and Bruce schools were home to more than 500 students and Gladstone is home to more than 1,000 students. Development in the city will also bring about new density that will dramatically increase our area population, the number of school-age children, and our need for the essential public services that schools provide.
Here are the ways that you can help:
- Accept a “Save our Schools” lawn sign
- Download and sign the Support Our Schools petition from our website: adriandixmla.ca
- Join our team of canvassing volunteers!
Get involved by contacting us at 604-660-0314 or email Adrian.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The response from the community has been incredible. Here’s what we’ve already accomplished over the summer!
- Over 7,000 signed paper petitions; and thousands of online petitions
- A flash mob at the Vancouver Public Library, choreographed by two Gladstone students and performed live in front of TV cameras!
- More than 100 local businesses have joined the campaign. Please let them know how much you appreciate their support!
- A cool Gladstone Robotics Program Exhibition at the Central Library and inspiring Arts Program Showcase at the VSB offices.
- A back-to-school movie night for Carleton and Bruce
- A booth at Greek Summerfest and Farmer’s Markets, in addition to attending rallies and public meetings
- A ton of media coverage! Save our Schools has been featured on the Globe and Mail, Georgia Straight, City TV, Global, CBC and Radio Canada, CTV, MingPao and Fairchild
As the new school year starts this September, think about all the ways that your school was important to you, then join us in our Save our Schools campaign!